|SHL Volunteers: Palmetto House / Adopt-a-highway next weekend|
The following e-mail announcement was sent by Laura Kasman to the Volunteer Network mailing list:
As you know, we have a big weekend coming up for the SHL Volunteer Network. Please help us if you can!
Next Saturday (May 4) we are serving two meals and undertaking two construction projects at the Palmetto House family shelter in Summerville. Since we are doing this through Summerville Cares Day of Service, we are listed as a partner on the scdayofservice.org Website and we are going to be assisted by about a dozen volunteers from the Church of Latter Day Saints.
We could still use a few more SHL volunteers for the Palmetto House projects. Here are some details:
* We will be serving a breakfast of frozen waffles or pancakes, bacon and fresh fruit to the 10 children and 8 women in the shelter at about 7:30AM. We need only about 5 people (early risers) to handle that.
* Starting around 9:00AM a bigger team will be laying paving stones, building a gazebo and maybe painting a flower box. (The flower box might be further decorated with handprints of the children.) We hope to be finishing those projects by noon.
* Then, another team of 5 people will be preparing and serving a lunch of baked chicken, corn on the cob, etc. from noon until 1:30.
If you would like to help us with any part of that, please reply to this message as soon as possible so that we can include you in the schedule. (Write to email@example.com.)
Or, if you cannot join us on May 4th at Palmetto House, please consider helping in one of two other ways:
* You can contribute to the *costs* of our projects at Palmetto House by making a donation to SHL's "Charity of the Quarter" . (See http://lowcountryhumanists.org/default.php?page=Community for more information.)
* Also, a group of SHL volunteers will be cleaning up our usual stretch of Harbor View Road on James Island on Sunday May 5th. I'm sure they would appreciate your company and assistance. (See http://lowcountryhumanists.org/eventview.php?idno=301 for more details.)
SHL Volunteer Coordinators
To sign up for e-mail announcements from the SHL or to manage your subscriptions, click here.